Over a Century of Care
For over 125 years, the people of Cortland have turned to us first for
the best in medical care. Keeping our community healthy and happy takes
serious commitment. From our humble beginnings until today - the dedication
of our professional medical staff and continuous improvement of technology
and facilities has continued to ensure the health and well-being of this
community, now and for generations to come.
The Loyal Circle of Kings Daughters recognizes the need for a hospital
in Cortland and begins fund-raising for this worthy cause.
The Cortland Hospital Association is organized in February, and a board
of 22 women managers and an advisory board of 9 men are elected. Under
a new constitution adopted in 1907, the advisory board became the Board
On April 1st, Cortland’s first hospital opens in a rented house located
at 33 Clayton Avenue. The hospital’s six beds are staffed by one
woman and a boy with volunteer assistance from the board of managers.
Board of Managers of the Hospital Association
First Hospital in Cortland, 33 Clayton Ave.
A training school for nurses is established and trains more than 320 nurses
over the next 42 years. The school closed in 1936 because of increasingly
complicated state regulations.
The Second Hospital Location, 84 N. Main St.
Nurses at 84 N. Main St.
The hospital moves to newly purchased quarters at 84 North Main Street,
increasing the number of beds to 25.
The Hospital Aid Society, the hospital’s first volunteer organization
is founded, drawing 200 members from Cortland and 12 surrounding towns.
Three years later, the Junior Hospital Aid Society is organized as an
auxiliary to the Hospital Aid Society and still exits today as Hospital Aid.
Chester F. Wickwire generously donates the funds to purchase and convert
the Copeland-Boyton Mansion into a modern hospital.
Cortland Hospital relocates to its present location at 134 Homer Avenue,
expanding its capacity to 52 beds. The new facility featured separate
wards for men and women, 22 private rooms, a children’s ward, and
two operating rooms.
134 Homer Ave., 1911
The hospital’s name is changed to Cortland County Hospital. The Mayor
of the City of Cortland and the Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors
serve as ex officio members of the Board of Trustees.
First X-ray equipment installed.
New 21-bed maternity wing opens in February, and 135 babies are delivered
at the hospital by the end of that year. Many changes in maternity care
have transpired in the ensuing years, and modern-day maternity services
feature family-centered care that includes birthing rooms, whirlpool baths,
rooming in, and special accommodations for fathers.
Open House Poster
The hospital opens its first laboratory.
The west pavilion is completed, housing a new x-ray department, laboratory,
medical ward, private rooms, and expanded children’s ward. The addition
increases the hospital’s total beds to 115.
The Laboratory is enlarged due to increasing volume, including public health
laboratory tests performed for Cortland County.
The hospital receives the gift of a Cardiette (EKG) Machine and performs
its first electrocardiogram.
In order to streamline oversight of hospital operations, the Board of Trustees
and Women Board of Managers are consolidated into a single 14-member governing
body, consisting of equal numbers of men and women.
Cortland County Hospital is among the first in the area to join the Group
Hospital Services of Syracuse: The Hospital Blue Cross.
Community organizations step forward with their support. The Cortland Rotary
Club gives the hospital an iron lung used to treat polio.
World War II creates a nursing shortage that continues throughout the war
years. Volunteer Red Cross Nurse Aides and Gray Ladies help fill the gap,
working alongside the nurses in patient wards and in many other areas
of the hospital.
Cortland County Hospital becomes a member of the American Hospital Association.
Proceeds from the Hospital Aid's Annual Charity Ball support maternity,
pediatrics and the nursery.
Elmina Snow Hospital Superintendent 1943-1947
The University of the State of New York establishes a nursing school at
Morrisville and Cortland County Hospital becomes a clinical training site.
The last class of Morrisville students trained at the hospital graduated in 1980.
A dedicated cardiology department is created.
David N. Abbot, Administrator 1946-1953
Women’s Auxiliary is formed as a volunteer service and fund-raising
organization. Today this group is known as the Hospital Auxiliary and
its membership boasts both women and men. The Auxiliary continues to be
the hospital’s single largest donor.
John Fowler, Administrator 1953-1974
The hospital’s name is changed to Cortland Memorial Hospital to better
reflect the hospital’s non-public status and that it had long been
supported financially by the generosity of the community.
Cortland Memorial Hospital undertakes its first major capital campaign,
raising over $1 million for the expansion and modernization of the hospital.
William F. Schorn Architects is chosen to design the planned addition.
The Candy Striper Program is initiated, giving high school girls the opportunity
to volunteer their time while learning about hospital work. This program
exists today as the Teen-Age Volunteer Program and includes both young
men and women. CMH’s TAV Program is one of the most active groups
in New York State.
The central pavilion opens, increasing the number of beds to 170. Over
the next four years, additional remodeled areas are placed in service,
including new emergency and radiology departments, renovated pediatrics
unit, and new medical-surgical units.
Aerial View, 1962
Reflecting the increasing complexity of hospital operations, many first-time
positions are added to the staff between 1964 and the end of the decade,
including a full-time pharmacist, physical therapist, controller, personnel
director, medical social worker, and director of volunteers.
The last of the open wards is closed. All patients now cared for in semi-private
and private rooms.
Dedicated coronary care unit is opened. Two-years later, a 10-bed special
care unit is added. Today, CMH has a 12-bed intensive care unit and additional
capacity to care for patients needing monitoring in its 7-bed telemetry unit.
New imaging modalities other than x-ray become available, providing alternatives
for diagnosing illnesses. Nuclear medicine is the first of these new technologies
to be offered at CMH and mammography is added soon after. Today the hospital
offers a full spectrum of state-of-the art imaging services, including
CT scans and MRI.
CMH computerizes many aspects of its operations, including all admitting,
census, and fiscal functions.
Construction of the new south wing is completed providing two additional
33-bed medical-surgical units, new intensive care and pediatrics units,
and new emergency department, laboratory, and radiology department. The
addition of a new surgical suite and extensive renovation of the existing
building is also part of this major building project. Funding is provided
in part through the Update ’76 Campaign, which raised $1.9 million.
Cortland Memorial Foundation is established as the fund-raising arm of
the hospital. Its mission is to enhance the quality of healthcare in the
Cortland community by securing donations and bequests for the continuing
support of Cortland Memorial Hospital.
South Wing Addition
Mental health services are added with the opening of an 11-bed mental health
unit. CMH also provides emergency psychiatric care and an emergency hotline.
Outpatient surgery is introduced on a limited basis. By 1998, twice as
many operations are performed as outpatient procedures than as inpatient
surgeries, and the hospital opens its dedicated one-day surgery center,
First in Surgery, to accommodate this shift.
The Long Term Home Health Care Program, also known as the “Nursing
Home without Walls,” is instituted with capacity for 25 patients.
Through this program, patients who would otherwise need nursing home placement
are cared for in their homes. Over the years, the program has grown and
can now accommodate up to 100 patients.
The attached medical office building opens. The new structure houses eight
suites designed for private physician practices. The building was developed
with private investors in order to fill a void in professional office
space and for use as a tool in recruiting new physicians to the Cortland
Corporate restructuring created the C.M.H. Group, Inc. as the parent corporation
for Cortland Memorial Hospital and its sister organizations, Cortland
Memorial Foundation and CMH Services, Inc. The Groton Community Health
Care Center also joined the group as an affiliate in 1989. The primary
objective of the C.M.H. Group is to facilitate management and cooperation
among its affiliates in order to meet the challenges of an increasingly
complex health care delivery system.
Robert M. Lowell, President/CEO 1986 - 1996
Here We Grow Child Care Center opens on Miller Street. In collaboration with the YWCA,
the center offers childcare for hospital staff and physicians and their
CMH celebrates the grand opening of its new 80-bed nursing home. The nursing
home is housed in a new addition that also provides space for an Adult
Day Health Care Program and several hospital departments. The construction
project also included major renovations to the existing building.
Nursing Facility Addition
CMH Home Health Care opens for business offering in home oxygen and other
respiratory therapies, as well as renting and selling durable medical
equipment such as hospital beds and wheel chairs.
The hospital’s offsite outpatient service center opens at 4005 West
Road, providing physical therapy and imaging services. In 2003, the CMH
Outpatient Service Center is expanded to offer a full array of imaging
services in a setting that is comfortable and convenient for patients.
CMH installs computer connections in physicians’ offices, making
patient information readily available for the doctors to retrieve.
Thomas Carmen, President/CEO 1997-2004
CMH unveils its new emergency department and urgent care center. Housed
in a 18,000-square-foot addition, the new construction is the first phase
of a first-floor update that includes a new laboratory and admitting areas,
as well as updates to the cardiology and imaging departments.
A hospitalist program is instituted to provide around-the-clock physician
coverage to care for patients during their hospital stay.
The hospital’s name is changed to Cortland Regional Medical Center
to reflect more accurately the expansion of its service area and the full
array of services offered to meet the lifelong healthcare needs of the
Regional Medical Practice is established as an affiliate of Cortland Regional
Medical Center to recruit and employ physicians. Among RMP’s early
successes are the enhancement of cardiac care, expanded orthopedic coverage,
and increased obstetrical and gynecological services.
CRMC becomes a smoke-free campus.
Dialysis services are introduced to the Cortland community. In collaboration
with St. Joseph’s Hospital and Healthcare Center, patients receive
dialysis at CRMC’s West Road Campus. A nephrology practice is established
at the same site to provide convenient access to care for patients suffering
from renal disease.
The medical center partners with University Hospital in Syracuse to implement
a stroke telemedicine program that provides around-the-clock access to
a neurologist. Patients are examined remotely via a web camera and secure
Internet connection, which allows for more timely administration of vital
Nurse Residency Program is implemented to enhance the preparation of graduate
nurses as they transition from their training program to delivering bedside care.
Plans are being developed to perform major renovations in several areas
of the building, including the operating suite and maternity unit.
Major renovation of nursing unit 2 Central and renovations to co-locate
RMP Cardiology Practice and CRMC’s Cardiology Department completed.
These projects were made possible by a “HEAL” Grant awarded
to CRMC by the New York State Department of Health.
Mark Webster becomes Cortland Regional Medical Center's new CEO
Mark Webster, President/CEO 2014 - Present
Regional Medical Practice grows exponentially, adding 18 new doctors and
eight new services to its existing offerings in eight months including
endocrinology, sports medicine, infectious disease, pulmonology, critical
care, psychiatry, internal medicine, family medicine, and ophthalmology.
Cortland Regional opens a new three-room Endoscopy suite.
Cortland Regional Medical Center is ranked #1 in NYS and 50th in the country
for quality of care by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
New Wound Care Center opens, offering specialized wound care in partnership
with Healogics — the world’s largest wound care management
company with over 500 hospital partners delivering excellent evidence-based
care to patients with chronic wounds.
Wound Care Center Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
New Endoscopy Suite
Cortland Regional Medical Center celebrates its 125th Anniversary after
caring for the Cortland and surrounding communities for 45,656 consecutive days.
RMP Midwives practice opens and adds two Certified Nurse Midwives to the
Regional Medical Practice team of providers. The opening of RMP Midwives
practice offers mothers and families additional options for pre-natal,
pregnancy, childbirth and well-woman care.
CRMC is recognized as a Blue Distinction Center+ for Maternity Care for
its demonstrated expertise and commitment to delivering quality, safe,
and affordable maternity care.